American Airlines Baggage Fees & Policy varies according to destinations and type of class. Here we will provide details about American Airlines checked baggage, carry-on / hand baggage, baggage limitations, extra baggage fees and other related policies.
American Airlines Baggage Policy
The regular basic fares baggage policy of American Airlines is consists of carry-on baggage, checked baggage and sporting equipment. These are given below:
- 1 personal item – Fee free
- 1 carry-on item – Fee free
- Applicable Fees per bag changes according to number of checked bags
- Overweight and Oversize bags: Fees per bag applies according to weight and size.
- There is applicable fees for different sporting equipment.
American Airlines Carry-on Baggage Policy:
The American Airlines Carry on Baggage Policy is given below:
|No. of Bags||Size||Fee|
|1 carry-on bag||45 linear inches (22 x 14 x 9 in) or 115 centimeters (56 x 36 x 23 cm).||Free|
|1 personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop bag)||Personal item should be of proper size to fit under the seat in front of you||Free|
American Airlines Checked Baggage Policy:
American Airlines checked baggage policy is different for people traveling to/ from different locations. The policy is given below:
|Region||Number of Bags||Dimensions||Weight|
|US domestic, Transatlantic, and Transpacific||2 bags standard, up to 10 bags maximum||62 inches or 157 centimeters (length + width + height)||50 pounds or 23 kilograms (for Brazil: 70 pounds or 32 kilograms)|
|Brazil, the Caribbean Central America, Mexico, and South America||2 bags standard, up to 5 bags maximum|
American Airlines Baggage Fees:
Fees Applies on checked baggage which is determined by the type of fare you purchased, your destination, if you are an active U S military personnel and/or dependent, if you have status with American Airlines’ (AA) frequent flyer program, status with an affiliated carrier, or if you have an American Airlines (AA) sponsored credit/charge card.
Standard Baggage Fees:
the first two checked bags are known as standard checked baggage of American Airlines. The Fees for Standard Baggage is as follows:
|Region||Fee for First Bag||Fee for Second Bag|
|US domestic (including Canada, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands||$25.00 USD||$35.00 USD|
|Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico||$25.00 USD||$40.00 USD|
Extra Baggage Fees:
The baggage more than that of standard baggage is known as extra baggage. The fees for extra baggage is as follows:
|Region||Fee for Third Bag||Fee for more than three bags|
|US domestic (including Canada, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands||$150.00 USD||$200.00 USD per bag|
|Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico||$150.00 USD||$200.00 USD per bag|
|Brazil||$85.00 USD||$85.00 USD per bag|
|South America||$150.00 USD||$200.00 USD per bag|
|Transatlantic||$200.00 USD||$200.00 USD per bag|
|Transpacific||$200.00 USD||$200.00 USD per bag|
Overweight Baggage Fees:
The standard weight for American Airlines baggage is 50 pound or 23 kilograms. If the baggage does not meet standard weight then the overweight baggage fees will be applied which is given below:
- 51 to 70 pounds or 24 to 32 kilograms: $100.00 USD extra per bag (excludes Brazil, also waived for all First Class, Business Class, Advantage Executive Platinum, and oneworld Emerald passengers).
- 71 to 100 pounds or 33 to 46 kilograms: $200.00 USD extra per bag (not accepted on Transatlantic and $450.00 USD extra on Transpacific).
- Bags exceeding 100 pounds or 46 kilograms will not be accepted as checked baggage / hold luggage.
Oversize Baggage Fees:
The standard size for American Airlines Baggage is 62-125 inches or 158-320 centimeters. If the baggage is above standard baggage size then oversize baggage fees will be applied which is given below:
- $200 – U S domestic, the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, South America, and Transpacific
- $150 – Brazil and Transatlantic.
There are year-round limitations on baggage when traveling to Bolivia, Paraguay and cities in Brazil. Bags with overall dimensions that exceed 125 inches or 320 centimeters will not be accepted.